J.W. Benson 9ct Gold Swiss Made Ladies Watch
J.W. Benson originated in 1840 as a Samuel Suckley Benson and James William Benson partnering, after which they sold watches under the name S.S. & J.W. Benson of Cornhill, London. In January 1855, the partnership was dissolved, and from 1855 until sometime in the 189os, the company continued trading as J.W. Benson, until the firm relocated production to Ludgate Hill, whereupon they became J.W. Benson Ltd.
Around 1876, this British watchmaker began holding royal warrants for Queen Victoria, the Prince of Wales, the King of Siam, the King of Denmark, the Tsar of Russia and several other royal families, during which time J.W.Benson also occupied premises in the Royal Exchange and Bond Street, London; however it seems that neither of these addresses appeared on the dials of their watches. In 1889, J.W.Benson acquired silversmiths and jewellers, Hunt & Roskell of London & Manchester, and in 1892, Benson transferred his watch finishing operation to a steam-powered factory in Bell Sauvage Yard, Ludgate Hill.
This particular watch is an absolutely beautiful Swiss made, 9ct gold manual wind wrist watch, designed impeccably with all parts manufactured solely in Switzerland. Made from solid, yet wonderfully lightweight gold, revealing barely any wear, this exemplary timepiece has been fully refurbished and thus works excellently, whilst keeping equally impeccable time.
Designer J.W. Benson
Dial Colour Ivory
Strap Type Bracelet
Excellent (see condition chart)
Case Width 15 mm
Case Depth 4 mm
Strap Length 7″ (18 cm)